After two days on the go, we finally have a few minutes for a quick recap of the last 24 hours.
First, we had an absolutely fantastic Wednesday night. We were able to coordinate a short-notice mid-town Manhattan join up. It was so great to see my college roommate after more than 25 years, one of Abi's best elementary-school friends, and a number of John's close Ohio friends who now live in the city. Best of all, Chris was in town from Boston, so he surprised his sister, joined us for our gathering, and went to dinner with us afterwards. Such a great evening!
This morning we met with Dr. Saltz at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. He's the chief of MSK's gastrointestinal oncology service, and a world-renowned neuroendocrine oncologist. We were very fortunate to be able to meet with him. He offered his thoughts on the way ahead.
The primary decision to be made is whether to maintain the current chemo regimen, which is keeping a very aggressive disease in check, but not advancing on it, or to transition over to an immunotherapy drug. Results of immunotherapy trials have been very promising. But immunotherapy simply doesn't work for everyone, and there's no way of knowing how effective it will be until we try it.
So that's the fundamental dilemma. Does Abi continue treatment that has, to date, been somewhat effective? Or does she try something that may be more effective, but also may be (much) less effective?
We'll be discussing this with Dr. McGaughey next week. Keep her in your prayers as we weigh this important decision.
As always, thank you for your ongoing support. It means so much.